On Becoming: 40 Years

(Old Man At Sea, Open Edition, by Mark Ludy)

I recently turned 40 years old. As a Millennial man, I assume that I'll be lucky to make it another 40 years. This true mid life has prompted a crisis, of sorts. Because I never expect to live this long in the first place. Like many young people, I thought I'd live fast forever in death as a beautiful corpse.

So when I didn't, I wasn't sure how to react. I fell in love, graduated college, started a career, got married, had children, bought a house, graduated college again, and before I knew it I was here. Exactly where I wanted to be and exactly where I never expected to find myself. A good life with good people and good works. (Even as the world at large descends into madness, corruption, and strife.)

It's a privilege built on survival, tenacity, and sheer luck. So many other people in my life didn't make it. They lost something, someone, or even themselves, in whole or in part. I thought that was my fate. I assumed the struggles I was facing were not just normal, but all that I deserved. I've written elsewhere here about that, if you're interested. It's enough to say that my life isn't what most people would expect when they meet me.

But the questions: so what now?

Well, besides trying to rebuild a better world for my children... I guess I don't have much of a choice but to live my life. It seems strange to say that, like I haven't already been doing that. But I mean fully, finally, embracing all of the parts of me and accepting that I do love them. I love my cringe and weird. I love my stubbornness and skepticism. I love my loyalty and introspection. I love my advocacy and empathy. I even love the mistakes I've made -- and regretted -- that taught me more than any of my accomplishments ever did or will. (I also love the collection of worlds and wisdom I've made and freely shared here.)

I love the person I became after 40 years of life on this earth because it's the same person I've always been. I love the kid I was who didn't get the life he should have, and I grieve for them, and that's why I can love myself, my own children, my wife, my friends, my family, my community, and so much more. Because somewhere deep inside of me, in places I almost forgot existed, there was a seed of love that grew into all of the cracks, crevices, scars, and wounds that I endured over these four decades.

And that love is why. It's my who, what, where, when, and how. It's everything I need and I'm so goddamn lucky to have it.

Because love is what's gonna save the world someday, just like it saved me.

Take note and take care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Leandro Voter's Guide: 2026 Primary Election

December 4, 2023: the Day the Left Died in San Leandro

Former City Councilman Allegedly Violates Campaign Finance Rules in Bid to Reclaim Seat